Welcome to Hyperion Records, an independent British classical label devoted to presenting high-quality recordings of music of all styles and from all periods from the twelfth century to the twenty-first.

Hyperion offers both CDs, and downloads in a number of formats. The site is also available in several languages.

Please use the dropdown buttons to set your preferred options, or use the checkbox to accept the defaults.

Label: Helios
Recording details: October 1997
St Paul's Cathedral, London, United Kingdom
Produced by Martin Compton
Engineered by Antony Howell & Julian Millard
Release date: May 1998
Total duration: 73 minutes 44 seconds

Cover artwork: St Paul's Cathedral from the terrace of Old Somerset House (detail) by William James (1730-1780)
Victoria & Albert Museum, London

This recording was made to mark the tercentenary of the formal opening in 1697 of St Paul's, rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren after the Great Fire of London. It consists of four notable pieces written for the cathedral between 1697 and 1755.

John Blow wrote a new anthem for the opening ceremony. I was glad when they said unto me is a setting of the text which Bishop Compton took for his sermon during the service. Handel's Te Deum and Jubilate, written for the Peace of Utrecht, was first heard in the Cathedral on 5 March 1713. William Boyce's anthem Lord, thou hast been our refuge was written in 1755 for the Festival of the Sons of the Clergy, the charity that raised (and still raises) funds for needy clergymen and their families. Like all the pieces recorded here, it is music that demands to be heard in the spacious acoustic of the building for which it was written.


‘A disc well worthy of its subject’ (Gramophone)

‘Warmly recommended’ (BBC Music Magazine)

‘A very fine demonstration of the English choral tradition at its best’ (Classic CD)

‘Invigorating and uplifting, this is a disc to raise the lowest and most jaded of spirits’ (Fanfare, USA)

‘Highly recommendable for an excellent programme beautifully performed’ (Organists' Review)
On Sunday 2 September 1666 the Great Fire of London broke out in a bakery in Pudding Lane. By the next day it had spread to the great medieval cathedral of St Paul’s. The diarist John Evelyn reported that scaffolding erected for repairing the stonework helped the flames to get a hold, and by the next day the stones were flying ‘like granados, the Lead melting down the streetes in a streame’. After the fire the King, Charles II, ordered the erection of a temporary choir which came into use just over a year later. Rebuilding the cathedral took much longer. The first stone was laid in 1675, but Christopher Wren’s great structure was not finished until 1694 and decorating it and furnishing it took several more years. The new organ by Bernard Smith was begun in 1694 and was still being worked on in the spring of 1699. It was not until 1711 that the building was finally declared complete, and Wren was paid off. By then the cathedral had long been in use: in 1697 the impending Peace of Ryswick gave the authorities the opportunity to combine an official thanksgiving service, held on 2 December, with the formal opening of the building. This recording marks the tercentenary of the event, and consists of four notable pieces written for St Paul’s between 1697 and 1755.

In day-to-day choral services in St Paul’s the choir was accompanied just by the organ, as it is today. However, in the opening service and at subsequent state occasions an orchestra was present to accompany at least one of the anthems and the Te Deum and Jubilate. The model for these works was the type of ‘symphony anthem’ with strings that Pelham Humfrey, John Blow and others had developed in Charles II’s Chapel Royal. The genre temporarily came to an end when William III, a Calvinist and a musical philistine, came to the throne in 1688. But orchestral anthems continued to be performed at coronations, and in 1694 Henry Purcell wrote his famous D major Te Deum and Jubilate with strings and trumpets. The work seems to have been first performed during the 1694 St Cecilia celebrations, but Thomas Tudway wrote that this ‘Noble Composition, the first of its kind in England’ had actually been composed ‘principally against the opening of St Pauls’. It was repeated in the 1697 service, by which time Purcell was dead, so it fell to his colleague John Blow to write a new anthem for the occasion. I was glad when they said unto me is a setting of the text Bishop Compton took for his sermon during the service, and is scored for the same orchestra as the Purcell. It also follows the Purcell in consisting of a patchwork of short, contrasted sections, though there are also two self-contained solos, the expressive duet ‘One thing have I desired’ and the florid solo with two trumpets ‘The king shall rejoice’.

In the years after its opening, St Paul’s was regularly used for the celebrations of Marlborough’s military victories over the French. Purcell’s Te Deum and Jubilate continued to be performed, but in 1709 William Croft wrote a more up-to-date setting for a thanksgiving service after the Battle of Malplaquet (recorded on Helios CDH55252), with an orchestra of two oboes, two trumpets and strings, and a larger, more expansive structure, with a greater emphasis on fully developed separate movements. Handel seems to have taken Croft’s work as the immediate model for the Te Deum and Jubilate he wrote for the Peace of Utrecht in 1713, though it is likely that he also knew the Purcell Te Deum. The Utrecht Te Deum and Jubilate was first heard at a public rehearsal in the cathedral on 5 March 1713, when a newspaper reported that ‘many Persons of Quality of both Sexes’ attended, and that the music was ‘much commended by all that have heard the same, and are competent Judges therein’. The peace negotiations dragged on, and the thanksgiving eventually took place on 7 July.

The Utrecht Te Deum and Jubilate was a turning point in Handel’s career, as it was for English church music. It was the first major piece of religious music Handel wrote to English words, and it is the earliest choral work by him that remained in the repertory: it was performed in St Paul’s during the annual Festival of the Sons of the Clergy every other year (alternating with the Purcell Te Deum) until 1743, when it was replaced by Handel’s Dettingen Te Deum. Although it needs only one more instrument than the Croft setting—a solo flute—it is more spacious in its conception and more varied in its material. Indeed, it is particularly attractive because it is so varied: it ranges through F sharp minor, A minor, F major, D minor, C major and G minor as well as the expected ceremonial D major, and a surprising amount of it explores introspective areas of feeling. The Jubilate is a much shorter text than the Te Deum, so it allowed Handel to expand the size of his movements, and to demand more virtuosity from his vocal and instrumental soloists. He reworked the Jubilate in about 1717/18 for the much smaller forces available in the Duke of Chandos’s chapel at Cannons near Edgware in Middlesex.

William Boyce’s anthem Lord, thou hast been our refuge was written in 1755 for the Festival of the Sons of the Clergy, the charity that raised (and still raises) funds for needy clergymen and their families. With Boyce’s Blessed is he that considereth the poor, written for the same occasion, it seems to have been the last music specially composed for the Sons of the Clergy for about a century; it was performed every Festival between 1775 and (probably) 1843 together with Handel’s Esther overture, the Dettingen Te Deum, the Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah and Zadok the Priest. This probably explains why it was published in full score in 1802, at a time when Boyce’s choral music had almost entirely been supplanted by Handel. The text is appropriate for a charity, and drew from Boyce some fine, varied music, ranging from the brilliance of the opening and closing choruses to the pathos of ‘Yea, like as a father pitieth his own children’ and ‘Remember, O Lord, what is come upon us’, a remarkable trio for three boys doubled by oboes. Like all the pieces recorded here, this is music that demands to be heard in the spacious acoustic of the building for which it was written.

Peter Holman © 1998

Le dimanche 2 septembre 1666, le grand incendie de Londres éclata dans une boulangerie de Pudding Lane. Le lendemain, le feu s’était propagé jusqu’à la grande cathédrale médiévale de Saint-Paul. Selon le chroniqueur John Evelyn, l’échafaudage érigé pour des réparations de maçonnerie aida les flammes à prendre et, le jour suivant, les pierres volaient «comme des grenades, le plomb fondant dans les rues, en un torrent». Après cet incendie, le roi Charles II ordonna la mise en place d’un chœur temporaire, qui entra en service tout juste un an plus tard. La reconstruction de la cathédrale exigea beaucoup plus de temps: la première pierre fut posée en 1675, mais le grand édifice de Christopher Wren ne fut achevé qu’en 1694; sa décoration et son ameublement prirent encore plusieurs années—le nouvel orgue de Bernard Smith, commencé en 1694, était toujours en cours de réalisation au printemps de l’année 1699. Le bâtiment ne fut déclaré terminé—et Wren payé—qu’en 1711. Mais la cathédrale servait depuis longtemps déjà: en 1697, la paix imminente de Ryswick donna aux autorités l’occasion de combiner un service d’actions de grâce, le 2 décembre, à l’inauguration officielle des lieux. Le présent enregistrement marque le tricentenaire de cet événement, avec quatre pièces remarquables écrites pour St Paul’s entre 1697 et 1755.

Les services choraux journaliers de St Paul’s étaient assurés par le chœur accompagné à l’orgue, comme aujourd’hui. Cependant, le service d’inauguration et plusieurs événements officiels ultérieurs requirent la présence d’un orchestre pour accompagner au moins un anthem et le Te Deum and Jubilate. Le modèle de ces œuvres fut le «symphony anthem» avec cordes développé par Pelham Humfrey, John Blow et d’autres compositeurs à la Chapelle Royale de Charles II. Ce genre cessa temporairement lorsque Guillaume III, calviniste et philistin en musique, accéda au trône en 1688. Mais les anthems orchestraux continuèrent d’être interprétés aux couronnements et, en 1694, Purcell écrivit son célèbre Te Deum and Jubilate en ré majeur, avec cordes et trompettes. La première de cette œuvre semble s’être déroulée lors des célébrations de la Sainte-Cécile, en 1694, mais Thomas Tudway nota que cette «noble composition, la première du genre en Angleterre» avait été préparée, en réalité, «essentiellement en vue de l’inauguration de St Paul’s». Elle fut reprise dans le service de 1697. Purcell étant alors mort, l’écriture d’un nouvel anthem échut à son collègue John Blow: reprenant la même combinaison orchestrale que Purcell, il mit en musique I was glad when they said unto me, le texte que l’évêque Compton utilisa comme sermon durant le service. Il suivit également Purcell en faisant de cette pièce une mosaïque de sections brèves, contrastées, même si l’on compte deux solos indépendants: l’expressif duo «One thing have I desired» et le solo fleuri, avec deux trompettes, «The king shall rejoice».

Dans les années qui suivirent son inauguration, St Paul’s fut régulièrement utilisée pour les célébrations des victoires militaires de Marlborough sur les Français. Le Te Deum and Jubilate de Purcell continua d’être joué mais, en 1709, William Croft écrivit une mise en musique plus moderne pour un service d’actions de grâce donné après la bataille de Malplaquet (cf. Helios CDH55252), avec un orchestre de deux hautbois, deux trompettes et cordes; dotée d’une structure plus imposante, plus expansive, elle présente une plus grande emphase sur des mouvements séparés pleinement développés. Bien que connaissant probablement le Te Deum de Purcell, Haendel semble avoir pris cette œuvre de Croft pour modèle immédiat du Te Deum and Jubilate qu’il composa pour la paix d’Utrecht, en 1713. L’Utrecht Te Deum and Jubilate fut entendu pour la première fois lors d’une répétition publique organisée dans la cathédrale, le 5 mars 1713; un journal rapporta que de «nombreuses personnes de qualité des deux sexes» y assistèrent, et que la musique fut «très recommandée par tous ceux qui l’ont entendue et sont, à cet égard, des juges compétents». Mais les négociations de paix traînèrent en longueur et l’action de grâce se tint finalement le 7 juillet.

L’Utrecht Te Deum and Jubilate constitua un tournant et dans la carrière de Haendel et dans la musique d’église anglaise. Premier morceau majeur de musique religieuse écrit par le compositeur sur des paroles anglaises, il fut aussi la toute première œuvre chorale haendelienne à rester dans le répertoire, puisqu’il fut donné tous les deux ans (en alternance avec le Te Deum de Purcell) à St Paul’s, dans le cadre du Festival of the Sons of the Clergy, jusqu’en 1743—date à laquelle il fut remplacé par le Dettingen Te Deum du même Haendel. Quoiqu’il ne requière qu’un instrument de plus que la mise en musique de Croft (une flûte solo), il est de conception plus spacieuse et de matériau plus varié. Et cette diversité même le rend particulièrement attrayant: il emprunte les fa dièse mineur, la mineur, fa majeur, ré mineur, ut majeur, sol mineur, ainsi que l’attendu ré majeur cérémoniel, et explore en quantité surprenante des régions de sentiments introspectives. Le texte du Jubilate étant beaucoup plus court que celui du Te Deum, Haendel put développer la taille de ses mouvements et exiger plus de virtuosité de ses solistes vocaux et instrumentaux. Vers 1717/8, il retravailla ce Jubilate pour les forces bien moindres disponibles à la chapelle du duc de Chandos, à Cannons, près d’Edgware, dans le Middlesex.

L’anthem Lord, thou hast been our refuge de William Boyce fut écrit en 1755 pour le Festival of the Sons of the Clergy, œuvre de charité qui collectait (et collecte encore) des fonds pour les ecclésiastiques nécessiteux et leurs familles. Cet anthem semble avoir été—avec Blessed is he that considereth the poor, composé par Boyce pour la même occasion—la dernière pièce spécialement écrite pour les Sons of the Clergy pendant environ un siècle; il fut au programme de chaque Festival de 1775 à (probablement) 1843, en même temps que l’ouverture d’Esther, le Dettingen Te Deum, l’Alléluia du Messie et Zadok the Priest de Haendel. Ce qui explique certainement sa parution en grande partition en 1802, à une époque où la musique chorale de Boyce avait été presque complètement supplantée par celle de Haendel. Le texte, approprié pour une œuvre de charité, suscita chez Boyce quelques beaux moments variés, de la brillance des chœurs d’ouverture et de conclusion au pathos de «Yea, like as a father pitieth his own children» et «Remember, O Lord, what is come upon us», un remarquable trio pour trois garçons, doublé de hautbois. Comme toutes les pièces du présent enregistrement, cette musique demande d’être entendue dans l’acoustique spacieuse de l’édifice pour lequel elle fut écrite.

Peter Holman © 1998
Français: Hypérion

Am Sonntag, dem 2. September 1666 brach in einer Bäckerei in der Pudding Lane das Große Feuer von London aus. Einen Tag später erstreckte sich das Feuer bis zur großen mittelalterlichen Sankt-Pauls-Kathedrale. Der Geschichtsschreiber John Evelyn berichtete, daß die zur Ausbesserung des Mauerwerks errichteten Gerüste den Flammen Halt gaben, und daß bereits am nächsten Tag die Mauersteine „wie Granaten umherflogen, und das Blei in einem Strome in den Gassen floß“. Als der Brand vorüber war, ordnete König Karl II. den Bau eines vorläufigen Chores an, der allerdings erst nach etwas mehr als einem Jahr fertiggestellt werden konnte. Der Wiederaufbau der Kathedrale dauerte wesentlich länger. Der Grundstein wurde 1675 gelegt, doch erst im Jahre 1694 wurde der großartige Bau unter der Leitung von Christopher Wren fertiggestellt. Der vollständige Innenausbau nahm ein paar weitere Jahre in Anspruch. Der Bau der neuen Orgel wurde 1694 von Bernard Smith in Angriff genommen; im Frühjahr 1699 war diese allerdings immer noch nicht fertiggestellt. Erst im Jahre 1711 befand man die Kathedrale als fertiggestellt, und Wren wurde ausgezahlt. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt war die Kathedrale längst schon wieder genutzt worden. Der bevorstehende Friede von Ryswick gab den Behörden die Gelegenheit, den offiziellen Gottesdienst zum Erntedankfest am 2. Dezember 1697 mit der formellen Wiedereröffnung des Bauwerkes zusammenzulegen. Diese Aufnahme zum 300. Jahrestag der Wiedereröffnung besteht aus vier bemerkenswerten Stücken, die zwischen 1697 und 1755 für St. Paul’s geschrieben wurden.

In den alltäglichen Chormessen von St. Paul’s wurde der Chor lediglich von der Orgel begleitet, wie es auch heute noch der Fall ist. Zur Eröffnungszeremonie sowie zu späteren Staatsanlässen engagierte man ein Orchester zur Begleitung von zumindest einem der Chorgesänge und des Te Deum and Jubilate. Als Vorbild für diese Werke dienten die sogenannten „symphonischen Chorgesänge“ mit Streichinstrumenten, die von Pelham Humfrey, John Blow und anderen in der Chapel Royal von Karl II. entwickelt wurden. Dieses Genre verschwand vorübergehend in der Versenkung, als Wilhelm III., ein Kalvinist und Musikbanause, im Jahre 1688 den Thron bestieg. Orchesterhymnen wurden aber auch weiterhin im Rahmen von Krönungszeremonien gespielt. 1694 schrieb Henry Purcell sein berühmtes Te Deum and Jubilate für Streicher und Trompeten in D-Dur. Das Werk wurde wohl erstmalig 1694 anläßlich der Sankt-Cäcilien-Feier dargeboten; Thomas Tudway allerdings schrieb, daß diese edle Komposition, die erste ihrer Art in England, genau genommen zum Anlaß der Eröffnung von St. Paul’s komponiert wurde. Das Werk wurde auch zur Messe im Jahre 1697 wieder gespielt. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt war Purcell bereits verstorben, und so wurde es die Aufgabe seines Kollegen John Blow zu diesem Anlaß einen neuen Chorgesang zu komponieren. Eine Vertonung des von Bischof Compton während seiner Predigt verwendeten Textes lautet I was glad when they said unto me („Ich war froh, als sie mir sagten“). Sie ist für die gleiche Orchesterbesetzung arrangiert wie bei Purcell. Und auch in ihrem Aufbau aus einem Mosaik von kurzen, gegensätzlichen Abschnitten folgt sie dem Werk Purcells. Es sind aber auch zwei eigenständige Soli, das ausdrucksvolle Duett „One thing have I desired“ („Nach einem sehnt’ ich mich“) und das aufblühende Solo „The king shall rejoice“ („Möge der König sich freuen“) mit zwei Trompeten zu hören.

In den Jahren nach seiner Wiedereröffnung wurde St. Paul’s regelmäßig für Feierlickeiten anläßlich der militärischen Erfolge des Herzogs von Marlborough über die Franzosen genutzt. Purcells Te Deum and Jubilate wurde auch weiterhin aufgeführt; im Jahre 1709 allerdings schuf William Croft im Zuge der Schlacht von Malplaquet eine zeitgemäßere Vertonung für den Gottesdienst zum Erntedankfest (erschienen bei Helios CDH55252), unter Verwendung eines Orchesters aus zwei Oboen, zwei Trompeten und Streichern, und einer insgesamt breiteren Struktur und größerer Betonung auf komplett ausgearbeitete, separate Sätze. Händel hat sich wohl Crofts Werk als unmittelbares Vorbild für das Te Deum and Jubilate genommen, das er anläßlich des Friedens von Utrecht 1713 verfaßte, wobei es nicht auszuschließen ist, daß er auch Purcells Te Deum kannte. Das Utrecht Te Deum and Jubilate war erstmals am 5. März 1713 im Rahmen einer öffentlichen Probe im Dom zu hören. Eine Zeitung berichtete damals, daß „viele angesehene Personen beiderlei Geschlechts“ anwesend waren, und daß die Musik „von allen, die sie da hörten, sehr gepriesen wurde—worunter sich einige kompetente Kenner befanden“. Die Friedensverhandlungen zogen sich in die Länge, und das Erntedankfest fand schließlich am 7. Juli statt.

Das Utrecht Te Deum and Jubilate stellte in Händels Karriere, wie auch in der Englischen Kirchenmusik, einen Wendepunkt dar. Es handelt sich dabei um das erste größere Werk religiöser Musik, das Händel zu einem englischen Text verfaßte. Zugleich ist es das früheste seiner Chorwerke, das im Repertoire verblieb. In St. Paul’s führte man es alle zwei Jahre (abwechselnd mit Purcells Te Deum) im Rahmen des jährlichen Festes der „Söhne der Geistlichkeit“ („Sons of the Clergy“) auf, bis es im Jahre 1743 von Händels Dettinger Te Deum abgelöst wurde. Und obwohl dieses Werk im Vergleich zur Fassung Crofts lediglich nach einem einzigen zusätzlichen Instrument—einer Soloflöte—verlangt, so ist es doch in seiner Konzeption weiträumiger und in der Verwendung seines Materials vielfältiger. Und eben diese Vielfältigkeit macht es so attraktiv. Es umfaßt die Tonarten fis-Moll, a-Moll, F-Dur, d-Moll, C-Dur und g-Moll, wie auch das zu erwartende, feierliche D-Dur, und überraschenderweise unternimmt es auch eine ausgiebige introspektive Erkundung der Gefühlswelt. Da das Jubilate ein viel kürzerer Text als das Te Deum ist, konnte Händel den Umfang seiner Sätze ausdehnen und von seinen Vokal- und Instrumentalsolisten mehr Virtuosität verlangen. Um 1717/8 schuf er eine Neubearbeitung des Jubilate für eine wesentlich kleinere Besetzung in der Kapelle des Herzogs von Chandos in Cannons (bei Edgware in der Grafschaft Middlesex).

William Boyce schrieb den Chorgesang Lord, thou hast been our refuge („Herr, du warst uns eine Zuflucht“) 1755 eigens für das Fest der „Söhne der Geistlichkeit“, einer wohltätigen Organisation, die auch heute noch Spenden für bedürftige Geistliche und ihre Familien sammelt. Zusammen mit Boyce’ Blessed is he that considereth the poor („Gesegnet sei, der an die Armen denkt“), das zum selben Anlaß geschrieben wurde, handelt es sich wohl für die nächsten hundert Jahre um das letzte Werk, das eigens für die „Söhne der Geistlichkeit“ verfaßt wurde. Es wurde bei jedem dieser Feste zwischen 1775 und (wahrscheinlich) 1843 dargeboten, ebenso wie Händels Esther-Overtüre, das Dettinger Te Deum, der Halleluja-Chor aus Messias sowie Zadok der Priester. Dies erklärt womöglich auch, warum die vollständige Fassung erst 1802 veröffentlicht wurde, zu einem Zeitpunkt als die Chormusik von Boyce nahezu gänzlich von Händel verdrängt worden war. Der Text ist für eine Wohlfahrtsorganisation angebracht, und bedient sich der schönen, vielschichtigen Musik von Boyce, die von der Brillanz des Eröffnungs- und des Schlußchores bis hin zum Pathos des „Yea, like as a father pitieth his own children“ und „Remember, O Lord, what is come upon us“ reicht, einem hervorragenden Trio für drei Knaben, deren Stimmen von drei Oboen parallel begleitet werden. Diese Musik ruft quasi danach, wie alle hier aufgenommenen Stücke, in der Umgebung der geräumigen Akustik des Bauwerks, für die sie geschrieben wurde, gehört zu werden.

Peter Holman © 1998
Deutsch: Michael Stoffl

Waiting for content to load...
Waiting for content to load...