Welcome to Hyperion Records, an independent British classical label devoted to presenting high-quality recordings of music of all styles and from all periods from the twelfth century to the twenty-first.
Hyperion offers both CDs, and downloads in a number of formats. The site is also available in several languages.
Please use the dropdown buttons to set your preferred options, or use the checkbox to accept the defaults.
Dennoch soll die Stadt fein lustig bleiben mit ihren Brünnlein,
da die heiligen Wohnungen des Höchsten sind.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved:
God shall help her, and that right early.
Mit seinem Geist (With his spirit) is based on the chorale ‘Ein’ feste Burg ist unser Gott’ by Martin Luther and Psalm 46, and develops a set of eight variations:
1. The opening movement bursts in with a toccata-like texture with overflowing joy.
2. Variation II is an expressive ornamentation of the melody in the treble.
3. Variation III is a harmonisation of the choral accompanied by a perpetuum mobile in the left hand, symbolising the ’stream’ evoked in Psalm. 46, 5.
4. The image of the stream is recalled in variation IV, with a gracefully flowing development of the melody.
5. Variation V is a peaceful meditation with the melody in the left hand.
6. By contrast the very lively variation VI figures, with its abundant arpeggios, an ‘inextinguishable strong stream’; it culminates on a bright carillon radiant with joy.
7. Variation VII is a contemplative choral harmonisation. The conclusive variation recalls the opening with its cheerful and dancing character.
World premiere performed by Heike Ittmann, Ev. Domkirche zu Lampertheim, 29 October 2006.
from notes by Naji Hakim © 2012