Hyperion Records

Give unto the Lord, Op 74
EnglishFrançaisDeutsch
Written in February 1914, Give unto the Lord was immediately published by Novello. It was first heard in a version for chorus and orchestra at the Festival of the Sons of the Clergy at St Paul’s Cathedral on 30 April 1914, and was consequently dedicated to Sir George Martin, the organist of St Paul’s.

Elgar responds to the words of Psalm 29 with vigour and powerfully contrapuntal choral writing, but with a gentle central interlude at the words ‘In His Temple’. Eventually Elgar returns to the music of the opening but ends with the words ‘the blessing of peace’. As these words are, uniquely, repeated and given added emphasis by being echoed round the choir, one has to wonder whether Elgar had any inkling in April 1914 of what was to be.

from notes by Lewis Foreman © 2007

Track-specific metadata
Click track numbers opposite to select

Details for CDH55147 track 14
Artists
ISRC
GB-AJY-88-31314
Duration
9'05
Recording date
11 May 1988
Recording venue
Worcester Cathedral, United Kingdom
Recording producer
Mark Brown
Recording engineer
Antony Howell
Hyperion usage
  1. Elgar: Cathedral Music (CDA66313)
    Disc 1 Track 14
    Release date: October 1988
    Deletion date: July 2003
    Superseded by CDH55147
  2. Elgar: Cathedral Music (CDH55147)
    Disc 1 Track 14
    Release date: July 2003
    Helios (Hyperion's budget label)
   English   Français   Deutsch