, dating from 1924, has a strange history. The melody was composed by John Drinkwater, a Norfolk road-mender, to words he had found in an old magazine from 1896. E J Moeran had collected Drinkwater’s tune on one of his folksong expeditions to Norfolk and Warlock then arranged a piano accompaniment to it. Unfortunately, the publishers of the original words refused permission for them to be used and so Warlock’s friend and factotum, Hal Collins, obliged with this new text.
from notes by Fred Tomlinson © 1994