was originally published in 1895 as a song under the title Chanson espagnole
. It rapidly became one of Chaminade’s most popular works in that genre, and was issued in a number of arrangements by other hands (Fritz Kreisler, no less, arranged it for piano trio in 1903); Chaminade’s own solo piano version appeared in 1926. Its hints of local colour, haunting tune, and ‘Spanish’ rhythms immediately reveal the reasons for the piece’s success.
from notes by Calum MacDonald © 1996