is dated 1902 (but it may be earlier); the words are by Ives. This is an important song in his development, somewhat experimental in its evocations of church bells and different rhythmic pulses over the regular ‘walking’ metre. The central piano interlude depicts a funeral in the valley while a dance goes on at a roadhouse higher up. The act of walking itself is seen as a symbol of the course of life.
from notes by Calum MacDonald © 2005