Aleksander Zarzycki (1834–1895), from Lwów in the Ukraine, studied piano in Berlin with Rudolf Viole and until 1865 had a considerable career as a virtuoso. He then settled in Warsaw, concentrating on composition and teaching. He was a founding member of the Warsaw Music Society in 1871 and its director from 1875; and he directed the Music Institute from 1879 to 1888. His name was kept alive by the G major Mazurka, which has been played and recorded by many violinists.
Like his Cracovienne, Zarzycki’s Mazurka in G major, Op 26—dedicated to the Spanish violinist Pablo de Sarasate—has two main strains, the second of which provides a contrasting central section. It is memorable and virtuosic.
from notes by Tully Potter © 2014